What Happens When A Mouse Is Put In Mountain Dew For 30 Days — Now Think About Your Body

It’s disturbing to think of a mouse trapped in a can of pop, or anywhere else for that matter, for any length of time. That is not what appears to have happened here, as you’ll see as you move through the article, so you may rest assured that we are not promoting animal cruelty in a bid to make soft drink companies look bad. We wanted to share this article to raise awareness about why these drinks should not be consumed by any human being, and thought this was one out of many great examples that could help us do so.

Over the past couple of years, the Coca Cola company has been plagued by an enormous amount of bad press, and for good reason. Here is what happens to your body just one hour after drinking a can of Coke, and here are 20 practical uses for coke that prove it does not belong in the human body. And we haven’t even brought up the topic of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) yet…

Mountain Dew is no different, and a recent bizarre court battle has made this abundantly clear. A couple of years ago, PepsiCo was sued by a man who claimed he had found a dead mouse in a can of Mountain Dew. Experts from the company were brought in to explain why this could not possibly be true, and their reasoning was absolutely shocking.

They stated that the Mountain Dew would have dissolved the mouse, turning it into a “jelly-like substance,” if the animal had been in the can from the time of its bottling until the day this gentlemen opened it, which happened more than a year later.

Pepsi stressed that there is absolutely no way that a mouse corpse could survive for 15 months in a pool of Mountain Dew for the simple reason that this drink, just like other similar sodas, is quite corrosive. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that they can eat away teeth and bones in a matter of months, and they would, accordingly, most likely do the same to the mouse.

According to IFL, they responded saying that the mouse would have completely dissolved in the liquid after just 30 days. 

Yan-Fang Ren of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry said he thinks it is “plausible that it could dissolve a mouse in a few months. But dissolving [the mouse] does not mean it will disappear, because you’ll still have the collagen and the soft tissue part. It will be like rubber.” 

This is because of the citric and phosphoric acid that’s commonly found in these drinks — and we’re not talking about  the citric acid that is naturally found in fruits. An industrialized form of these acids is used instead. Coca Cola, for example, is a soft drink most often compared to battery acid, and in 2004 a well-known study found that citrus sodas like Mountain Dew erode tooth enamel at an alarming rate. When molars were soaked in Mountain Dew for just two weeks, 6 percent of tooth enamel had eroded. Molars soaked in Diet Mountain Dew fared even worse, losing 8 percent of their enamel.

According to Scientific American, the citric acid in Mountain Dew would eat away a mouse’s bones in a similar manner as it erodes teeth, breaking down the chemical bonds that hold the tissue together by infiltrating them with positively charged particles. They also went on to state vaguely that this acid is probably fine for people with healthy digestive tracts, and it shouldn’t harm your stomach like it does your teeth (though I personally wouldn’t risk my health on such an assumption).

This statement is a little disturbing, given the fact that the idea that a healthy digestive tract can withstand these substances is based on mere supposition. Add in the reality that these drinks often cause acid reflux, along with the rising rate of acid reflux in developed countries, and a worrisome trend begins to emerge. While acid reflux is more pronounced when the body is horizontal (sleeping), the sheer volume of these kinds of soft drinks being consumed in the USA means that acid reflux is well past the danger point. Any time you ingest a gassy drink, you are going to get belching — and acid — into the esophagus. How much is too much? The research doesn’t say where the limit is, it only shows that most of us are far, far past it. Mechanical damage to cells is a huge risk factor for cancer, which is why asbestos particles, for example, cause lung cancer.

Esophageal cancer was very rare two generations ago, but is now becoming quite prevalent. Do soft drinks have something to do with this? Stomach acid dissolves tissue — that’s its purpose. The stomach lining does not extend into the esophagus, so the lower esophagus gets damaged by acid far more frequently in soft drink users than in non soft drink users. This results in a radical increase in cell mutations, along with a far higher level of free radicals.

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Then there is sugar. Sugar, primarily in the form of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), is the highest calorie source in the United States today. While its mass appeal is vastly rooted in cultures worldwide, its health impacts are substantially detrimental and are often overlooked by the majority. We recently published an article on how HFCS literally makes you “stupid,” .. Multiple studies have shown this, including one conducted by UCLA which illustrated how sugar lowers your IQ.

Share on Facebook