Multivitamin and mineral supplements became available in the 1940s, and Americans actively use them ever since. Nowadays, millions of people use supplements in order to strengthen their health and avoid nutrient deficiencies.
Most people take a balanced combination of essential vitamins and minerals in the form of a multivitamin, such as Centrum vitamins.
Multivitamins accounted for 40 percent of all supplement purchases, which is $5.7 billion out of the $37 billion in supplement sales in 2014 alone.
Centrum vitamins, by Pfizer, are the best-selling multivitamins in the country. Their produces is the biggest pharmaceutical company worldwide, which deals mainly in manufactured chemicals. Yet, the company is also known due to the numerous legal battles, frauds, and controversy.
It was recently threatened to be sued over false claims about Centrum vitamins in 2012 by the consumer watchdog group Center for Science in the Public Interest.
Eventually, the company had to pull claims about breast and colon health. Moreover, it lacks regulation, specificity, and even standards. Namely, the multivitamins ask for no set standards or levels.
Yet, it does what all big corporations regularly do: it pays large sums of money for advertising their chemically and synthetically enhanced supplements which can, in fact, do more harm than good.
Apparently, even though these multivitamins are advertised to boost immunity and kick your metabolism they actually contain multiple additives which can be harmful or toxic to your body.
Centrum vitamins contain at least 3 preservatives and several color additives, along with many toxic and even carcinogenic chemicals and additives.
Here is a list of their dangerous ingredients:
- Calcium Carbonate — This compound is found in rocks, shells, and even pearls. It is sometimes used to raise calcium levels in the body; but has been related to strokes and heart disease, especially in the elderly. Studies have also linked it to heart issues and myocardial infarction.
- Polyethylene Glycol — It is often used in the manufacturing of coal-burning plants, rocket fuel, and over-the-counter laxatives. It might lead to kidney damage, hives and other allergic reactions, esophageal bleeding, tears, and autism. In children, it might cause encopresis, which is a continuous leakage of semi-formed feces.
- Hydrogenated Oil — Hydrogenated oils quickly become toxic when processed under extreme heat, atmospheres of pressure and injections of metals. Their consumption clogs the arteries, leading to massive heart and arterial issues, and also results in producing cholesterol to bandage artery walls which have been affected. Due to the vascular issues, it affects the brain and causes Alzheimer’s and ADHD.
- Food Dye Yellow 6 — This is a toxic food dye which is a carcinogen and might result in allergies, tumors on the kidneys and testes, and chromosomal damage. It might also cause ADHD, hyperactivity, and restlessness.
- GMO Corn Starch — It has multiple adverse effects on the body and affects the detoxifying organs such as the liver and kidneys, but also damages the spleen, heart, and adrenal glands. Its another side effect is Hepatorenal Toxicity, which leads to kidney failure and is typically fatal.
- Titanium Dioxide — It has been found to be potentially carcinogenic to humans. It’s included in various products as a whitening agent, like in ink, paper, paints, and even cosmetics and toothpaste. Even though it has been previously considered to be safe by the FDA, it has been recently found to cause lung cancer in rats.
What is even more disturbing is that the Centrum vitamins for children are even more dangerous, as they include the following hazardous additives:
- Cupric Oxide — This copper mineral is known to be dangerous in Europe. It causes kidney disease and childhood cirrhosis, and it is also dangerous to the environment.
- Artificial Sweeteners (Aspartame) — As soon as it is ingested, this carcinogenic sweetener is converted to formaldehyde and methanol, and causes 40 adverse side effects, including birth defects, ADD, cancer, lupus, multiple sclerosis and more.
- Zinc Oxide — In Europe, it is considered to be harmful, and leads to diarrhea, constipation, upset stomach and more.
- Lactose (Milk Sugar) — Lactose makes up 2-8 % of the milk by weight. Specific enzymes in the stomach break it down, leading to lactose intolerance, and symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, cramping, upset stomach, and nausea.
- Sugar (Sucrose) — Sucrose, or table sugar, has more than 100 adverse side effects, including cancer, diabetes, obesity, hyper-anxiety, immune suppression, suppressed mineral and vitamin absorption, and more.
- Food Dye Blue 2 — Food dyes and color additives are extremely toxic, and are linked to brain tumors, learning disorders and general malaise.
Vitamins in food
It is always the best choice to take your vitamins in the form of real, whole foods. If you still decide to use supplements, make sure you choose high-quality ones.
You should increase the intake of whole foods that are more easily absorbed and processed by your system. The following foods are full of nutrients so you should consume them daily:
Nutrient-Dense Foods To Consume Daily Include:
- Vegetables — vegetables are full of minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients, so you should consume them on a daily basis. They provide numerous health benefits and no side-effects. Therefore, increase the intake of broccoli, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, avocados Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and watercress.
- Fruit — Fruits are also rich in vitamins and antioxidants, fiber, folate, vitamin C, and potassium. They regulate blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease. The top 5 most antioxidant-rich fruits are red grapes, acai berry, pomegranate, maqui berry, and goji berry.
- Organic, Grass-Fed Meat and Wild Game — These meats are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and contain two to four times more than grain-fed meat. Grass-fed meats and wild game are higher in nutrients but lower in fat and calories. Grass-fed meats are also high in vitamin E and CLA, another healthy fat that fights cancer
- Free-Range Poultry and Eggs — Free-range poultry, and eggs have more nutrients and good fats than the caged variety. They are rich in vitamin A and E, beta-carotene, Omega’s, and vitamin D (eggs).
- Herbs — Herbs are also full of nutrients, antioxidants, essential oils, and phytosterols. Curcumin, the active ingredient of turmeric, is one of the most potent antioxidants you can take in order to prevent and treat pain, cancer, and brain diseases. Numerous herbs also contain volatile oils that fight cancers and multiple ailments, help weight loss, treat digestion, anxiety, help digestion, and more. The most powerful herbs include ginger, oregano, parsley, turmeric, garlic, and basil.
- Pastured Raw Dairy — It is loaded with minerals, acids, fat-soluble vitamins, and strengthens the immune system. It also helps fight cancer, digestive issues, and supports the health of hair, skin, and nails.
- Sprouted Grains, Nuts, Seeds, and Beans — Sprouting is the practice of germinating seeds — whether nuts, beans, grains, or other kinds of seeds, and it unlocks beneficial enzymes. These seeds are easily digested and the body can quickly absorb their nutrients. Sprouting boosts the beneficial flora levels in the gut.
- Wild-Caught Fish — Wild-caught fish is abundant in essential fatty acids and protein. Their consumption at least twice a week lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s and other diseases.
If you decide to increase the levels of nutrients in your body by supplementation, you should always have the following things in mind:
- Always choose 100 percent organic and 100 percent whole food-based, either raw or low-temperature heated. Moreover, it should contain minerals to help its absorption.
- Avoid ones that contain colorings, dyes, gluten, soy, corn, hydrogenated oils, preservatives, GMOs, or binders like magnesium stearate. Plus, avoid USP-verified vitamins, as they might contain synthetics.
You should always read the labels before buying your supplements, as even those labeled “healthy”, like Centrum, might be far from it.
You should avoid synthetic and dangerous options, such as Centrum vitamins, and use a high-quality, real food vitamin. Yet, the best way to supply your body with vitamins and minerals is through whole foods, so they should be your primary choice.