1. Tuna and Avocado
- 1x 90g tin tuna in spring water, drained
- 1x small carrot, grated
- ½ tbsp. whole egg mayonnaise
- ¼ avocado, mashed
- 3-4 leaves of dark oak leaf lettuce
- 2x slices of wholegrain bread or sourdough
- Combine the tuna, mayonnaise and carrot in a small bowl and mix until well-combined.
- Spread the mashed avocado onto one slice of bread and top with a thick layer of the tuna mixture.
- Top with a few oak lettuce leaves and the remaining slice of bread. Serve and enjoy.
- You can swap the bread for a wholegrain wrap and the carrot for corn kernels.
- You can also add sliced tomato, cucumber and alfalfa spouts to up your vegetable intake.
2. Haloumi, Hummus and Roast Capsicum
- 100g haloumi cheese, sliced ½ cm thick pieces
- 2 tbsp. hummus
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 4 cheeks
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves
- a few slices of red onion
- 1x wholegrain or sourdough bread roll, cut in half
- To roast the capsicum, pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Place the capsicum cheeks on a baking/oven tray, skin side up and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the skins have started to go black. Remove from the oven and immediately place in a sealed container to cool. Sealing them as they cool will cause the capsicums to sweat and make removing the charred skin much easier.
- Once the capsicum cheeks are cool enough to touch, peel away the skin and set the flesh aside to pop in your sandwich.
- To grill the haloumi, heat a small, non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced haloumi and cook until lightly golden for about 2-3 minutes. Flip over and cook the other side until golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, spread one side of your bread roll with the hummus. On the other side of your bread roll, place the grilled haloumi slices, roast capsicum flesh, sliced tomatoes, baby spinach and red onion slices. Top with the other half of your bread roll and serve. Enjoy!
3. Chicken, Feta and Sundried Tomato
- 100g chicken breast, poached and shredded
- 20g soft feta
- 2-3 tbsp. sundried tomato pieces, oil drained
- ½ cup mixed leafy salad
- ¼ cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2x slices of crusty wholemeal sourdough
- Spread one slice of bread with the soft feta.
- Top the other slice of bread with shredded chicken, sundried tomato pieces, cucumber slices and rocket.
- Finish with the slice of bread with feta and serve. Enjoy!
4. Toasted Pizza Sandwich
- 2x slices wholegrain or wholemeal bread
- ½ tbsp. tomato paste
- 60g ham off the bone
- 2-3 small button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum cheek, diced
- a few slices red onion
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 20g reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- Spread one slice of bread with tomato paste. Top with ham, mushrooms, capsicum, baby spinach, red onion, avocado and cheese. Leave the cheese till last.
- Please the remaining slice of bread on top and toast in a sandwich press or jaffle maker until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. Serve. Enjoy!
5. Smashed Eggs with Avocado
- 2 whole eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- ¼ avocado
- 20g soft feta
- 1 cup green leafy salad
- 1 x wholemeal bread roll
- Mash the eggs, avocado and feta in a small bowl. Spread thickly over one half of the roll.
- Top the egg mixture with salad leaves and place the other half of the roll on top. Serve. Enjoy!